gcodetools "path to gcode" -- number of passes

cnc-club.ru for English speaking users
fhs
Новичок
Контактная информация:

gcodetools "path to gcode" -- number of passes

Сообщение fhs »

Hi,
I am completely new to both inkscape and gcodetools (I am using v.0.47 and v1.7, respectively) -- so please bear with me.

I created a path from an outline (see 2nd attachment). After running "path to gcode", I see what's shown in the first attachment. The selected cylindrical tool is wider then the outline, but, gcodetool still creates gcode with the actual tool passing more than once across each line with Z<0. "depth step" under tools is set to 1 (I am not sure what how "depth step" is defined).

How can I force gcodetools/"path to gcode" to pass each section of the outline only once with Z<0 without me having to resort to manually editing the gcode file? I'd very much appreciate any help.

Kind regards,

Fred

PS
Here is the actual tool, a 445 nm laser diode running at 450 mW optical power (obviously with a different gcode file than the one above!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNNZUjao-HQ.
Вложения
Screenshot-lace_png_outline2.svg - Inkscape-1.png (15337 просмотров) <a class='original' href='./download/file.php?id=24008&sid=8862f6af952d19823202fb790c7f3561&mode=view' target=_blank>Загрузить оригинал (309.05 КБ)</a>
Screenshot-lace_png_outline2.svg - Inkscape.png (15337 просмотров) <a class='original' href='./download/file.php?id=24009&sid=8862f6af952d19823202fb790c7f3561&mode=view' target=_blank>Загрузить оригинал (114.97 КБ)</a>
fhs
Новичок
Контактная информация:

Re: gcodetools "path to gcode" -- number of passes

Сообщение fhs »

Would one of the moderator be so kind as to move my above posting to http://www.cnc-club.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33 ?

Thank you and best regards,

Fred
Nick
Мастер
Заслуга: Developer
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Nick »

It's easy :)

Ok, here's how it works. Depth of cut is defined in the orientation points - the third coordinate. Depth step for each pass is defined in tool's definition. So the number of passes will be equal to Round UP ( (Depth of cut)/(Depth step) ) so if you want only one pass just define either small Depth of cut or huge Depth step.

PS There's a post processor which can remove all Z moves if you do not need them.
PSS It'll be better if you attach your svg as well.
fhs
Новичок
Контактная информация:

Сообщение fhs »

Great, thanks for you prompt assistance, Nick! I will give that a try and report back ASAP. Next time, I will attach the *.svg file. I do need the Z moves because I turn my laser on if and only if (Z<0 && spindle_is_enabled).
Nick
Мастер
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Nick »

fhs писал(а):I do need the Z moves because I turn my laser on if and only if (Z<0 && spindle_is_enabled).
You can define M5 M3 in tools parameters (Gcode before/after path) to turn the laser just before cutting...
fhs
Новичок
Контактная информация:

Сообщение fhs »

I tried to follow your first suggestion. The Orientation settings are now (0.0; 0.0; 0.1) for x|y=0|0 and for x|y=100|0. You can see the selected tool in the following pictures which also shows that each curve is still traced at least twice:
Screenshot-lace_png_outline2.svg - Inkscape.png (15299 просмотров) <a class='original' href='./download/file.php?id=24034&sid=8862f6af952d19823202fb790c7f3561&mode=view' target=_blank>Загрузить оригинал (148.85 КБ)</a>
The "path to Gcode" settings are as follows (BTW: for the beginning user like myself, it would be great to get mouse over explanations for these options):
  • All units in mm
    biarc interpolation tolerance 1.0
    maximum splitting depth: 1
    depth function: d
    cutting order: subpath by subpath
    scale along Z axis: 1.0
    offset along Z axis: 0
    Z safe height...: 0.05
But now the NGC file remains empty (except for the header and footer).
What am I doing wrong?
Вложения
lace_png_outline2.svg
SVG
(113.49 КБ) 1301 скачивание
Nick
Мастер
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Nick »

Cutting depth should be between Z0 and Z1 which are defined by orientation points:
(X0,Y0,Z0) - (X1,Y1,Z1)
You have (0.0; 0.0; 0.1) and (100.0; 0.0; 0.1) - so z0=z1 probably - that is the reason that there are no Gcode.
Set them (0.0; 0.0; 0.0) - (100.0; 0.0; 0.1)
fhs
Новичок
Контактная информация:

Сообщение fhs »

Thank you very much for you immediate reply, Nick. I followed you suggestion and I am getting gcode now, but all Z values are >=0; path to gcode settings as in my above post. Is the cutting depth interpolated between 0|0 and 100|100? 0.1 may then not be quite sufficient. Again, I would be happy with any Z<0 when cutting.
Nick
Мастер
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Nick »

UPS... Set them to (0.0; 0.0; 0.0) - (100.0; 0.0; -0.1)
fhs
Новичок
Контактная информация:

Сообщение fhs »

Thanks, now I am getting a valid NGC file. The initial issue (the cutter passing over the same lines more than once with Z<0) remains, however.

Edited: NGC file attached
Вложения
output_0005.ngc
(225.84 КБ) 1474 скачивания
Nick
Мастер
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Nick »

Are you sure?
------------
hmmm....
------------
Aha! Your path is an "outline" of some path so it actually goes two times over almost the same place. Gcodetools cuts outline of the path, an you are trying to cut outline of outline...
See attachment
Вложения
Снимок-75.png (15287 просмотров) <a class='original' href='./download/file.php?id=24050&sid=8862f6af952d19823202fb790c7f3561&mode=view' target=_blank>Загрузить оригинал (310.81 КБ)</a>
fhs
Новичок
Контактная информация:

Сообщение fhs »

That explains that -- thanks! Any suggestion how I could generate a single line path from a number of alphabetic and numerical characters? What I did was this: export the graph as a bitmap, reimport it, and then perform "trace bitmap". Sorry, I am completely new to Inkscape and probably not using the optimal approach...
Nick
Мастер
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Nick »

fhs писал(а): export the graph as a bitmap, reimport it, and then perform "trace bitmap"
this is the problem - tracing bitmaps is not a good solution for further machining.
fhs писал(а): Any suggestion how I could generate a single line path from a number of alphabetic and numerical characters?
Just draw them inside inkscape with text tool (F8), then convert texts to paths by Path - Convert to path (Ctrl+Shift+C). (you can also combine, add, subtract and do a lot of operations with it afterwards)
fhs
Новичок
Контактная информация:

Сообщение fhs »

Thanks for your suggestion, Nick. I very much appreciate all your work in this forum as well as your instant help.
Keep up the great work!
Ответить

Вернуться в «English forum»