Different Depth for Different Layers?

cnc-club.ru for English speaking users
fizgig
Новичок
Контактная информация:

Different Depth for Different Layers?

Сообщение fizgig »

So I've figured out you can have different sub-layers in inkscape where each layer has it's own tool definition. That's really cool.

I haven't been able to have different "Orientation Points" for each layer which would allow me to have a different "z" depth. It seems that I can only have one orientation point defined for the whole file which locks me to just that one depth for all layers.

Is it possible to have a different depth for a different layer?

(Thanks so much for this tool by the way)
Nick
Мастер
Заслуга: Developer
Контактная информация:

Re: Different Depth for Different Layers?

Сообщение Nick »

Wow, I'm surprised, you are probably the first, who have get it by himself!

Yes it is possible to add orientation points to each layer! Probably they just overlap each other, so you see only one pair of orientation points.
Do not move them! Try to set hide layers to modify the points on other layer.

By the way you can add points by Gcodetools - Orientation points or just copy them to another layer (Select - Ctrl+C - Select other layer - Ctrl+Alt+V) (Alt is important to insert in the same position). The same can be done to any other Gcodetools object.
fizgig
Новичок
Контактная информация:

Сообщение fizgig »

Hmm, I'm not able to do separate orientation points without getting an error. Can you take a look at the file?

I have two layers, one with a bunch of circles (on layer "Holes") and another with the number "1" in it (layer "Letters"). I'd like the "1" to be engraved at 0.015" depth and the circles to be 0.0625" depth.

Each layer has its own tools and orientation points but I can't select the circles and the "1" lines and export without an error. Can you see what I'm doing wrong?
Вложения
Light_Plate.svg
(61.03 КБ) 1352 скачивания
Nick
Мастер
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Nick »

hmmm how exactly did you add another pair of orientation points? Because I'm getting error using your file too.

I've tried to remove all orientation points, and created a new one, then copied it to the second layer and it became to work.
See the attachment.

Orientation points, tools, and other Gcodetools components are very fragile, so you should be very careful with them :). Do not ever ungroup any of them - it will break whole component (there are some hidden parameters in each group that determine that this group is Gcodetools component). To change anything inside the component use double click to enter the group.
Вложения
Light_Plate.svg
(61 КБ) 1416 скачиваний
fizgig
Новичок
Контактная информация:

Сообщение fizgig »

Interesting, I did as you just said - I deleted the orientation points for both layers and re-did them and it worked as well.

I don't quite recall what I did before. I think I had copied one and pasted it in place in a different layer but I just tried that again and it worked this time. I must have done something...

Anyhow, this is getting pretty cool!
Nick
Мастер
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Nick »

I found the problem, you have deleted closing bracket of the second point: "(5.0; 0.0; -0.0625".

Strange thing - Gcodetools probably should tell if there's a problem while parsing Orientation points...
fizgig
Новичок
Контактная информация:

Сообщение fizgig »

Ah!

I often edit the number since there often seems to be roundoff in there... If I put -0.05 in the orientation box, when it's actually added I might see something like "-0.0500000012139". I'll just take out the round off but in this case I took out the parenthesis as well I suppose...
Nick
Мастер
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Nick »

Probably it could happen because of Python's floating point variable. Like in C it has specific thing, not all number can be correctly written.
For example 0.9 will be 0.90000000000000002, 0.09 - 0.089999999999999997, it can not been modified. It's all about the float definition form.

So anyway there's almost no difference between 0.9 and 0.90000000000000002 so it can be ignored. Even if you change this value, after parsing orientation points Gcodetools will capture it as "0.9" and convert to the exact the same value in float which will be 0.90000000000000002.
Ответить

Вернуться в «English forum»